The weather on Mt. Kilimanjaro is unpredictable and ranges from very cold to very hot. As you make your way to the Mt. Kilimanjaro summit, you will pass different climate zones with different weather conditions. Mount Kilimanjaro has five major ecological zones, each approximately 3,280 feet (1,000 m) in altitude. Each zone has its own flora and fauna, temperature and amount of rainfall.
The town Moshi is located on the base of Mt. Kilimanjaro and is the gateway town from where our Mt. Kilimanjaro treks are organized. The town is located at 2,667 feet (900 m) above sea level and it is located in the lowest, warmed ecological zone.
Some Mt. Kilimanjaro weather facts:
- During the months of April, May, June, July, August and September you have the best chances good weather with average temperatures that fall between 20 degrees Celsius (68°F) and 25 degrees Celsius (77°F).
- On average, the warmest month(s) are January, February and December.
- The months of February, March, November and December have a high chance of precipitation.
- The warmest month is January with an average maximum temperature of 29°C (84°F).
- The coldest month is September with an average maximum temperature of 20°C (68°F).
- April is the wettest month. This month should be avoided if you are not a big fan of rain.
- July is the driest month.
The best time of the year to visit Mt. Kilimanjaro
There are two rainy seasons and two dry seasons on Mt. Kilimanjaro:
First Dry Season
During January and February the first dry season of the year starts. The weather is usually great for a hike during these months; not too cold and not too wet.
First Rainy Season
During the months February – May, there is big chance of precipitation on Mt. Kilimanjaro, especially during the month April. The wind direction causes the southern slopes of Mt. Kilimanjaro to receive more precipitation than the northern slopes. The precipitation consists of rain, snow and hail. Only on the glaciers there is snow all year around.
Second Dry Season
The driest months on Mt. Kilimanjaro are from June to October. This is a great time for a Mt. Kilimanjaro trek, especially if you want small chances of rain on Mt. Kilimanjaro.
Second Rainy Season :
The second rainy season falls in the months November and December. However, there is less rainfall in the second rainy season than during the first rainy season.